Friday, August 13, 2010

Spoiled Diva?

Yesterday I was accused of being a "spoiled diva."  Now, I'm not going to say that I don't like nice things or that I am not a tad materialistic.  But don't think for a second that I don't work my butt off for everything that I have.  I work in legal services where I make a fraction of what I would make in private practice assisting survivors of domestic violence in their cases.  Maybe this is the wrong way of looking at life, but I work hard, I like to be comfortable when I'm not running myself into the ground to help other people. 

I have been fortunate in life to have some nice things, live in a nice house and go on some amazing trips.  A lot of this is thanks to one person in my life.  I make a point to try to always express my gratitude for being able to live the life I live and still make a difference in other people's lives.  Maybe I get carried away sometimes with the material stuff.  Then again, I don't think making a JOKE about getting a new bag b/c someone else got a new car is really that big of deal. 

I am just furious about this comment.  I'm furious that it implies that I am not grateful.  I'm furious that it makes me look, quite frankly, like an asshole.  I'm furious that I am perceived this way when I truly work hard trying to help other people.  Am I supposed to live in squalor and not enjoy nice "things" (clothes, bags, shoes, etc) to prove that I am not a "spoiled diva?"  Or am I supposed to find a balance?  Work hard, do good and also enjoy the good life I have been lucky enough to find? 

Or, do I sound like an ungrateful bitch? 

No comments: